Pit Bull Puppy Swallows 8-Inch Knife, Lives to Tell About It

Thanks to life-saving surgery a pit bull puppy is expected to make a full recovery after swallowing a kitchen knife.

Named Macie, the 12-week-old pup was rushed to the emergency vet clinic after she began choking. Her owners assumed she swallowed a toy but the X-rays revealed quite the surprise.

“Macie was making a squeaking sound – I thought she’d swallowed part of a toy,” owner Irene Paisley of Scotland told the BBC. Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy, and she started choking.”

Related: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Is Real Life Super Hero: Saves His Drowning Dog

Paisley added, “I was terrified. Poor Macie was still choking and, by the time we arrived at the vet’s, there was blood coming out of her nose,” she says. “The loss of our previous dog was still very raw and the thought of losing Macie was devastating.”

Inside the little dog was a knife, with the handle wedged in her intestines and the tip in her gullet. Paisley has no idea how Macie swallowed a knife, or even where it came from.

Staff at PSDA, a nonprofit veterinary organization, did emergency surgery on the puppy.

“I’ve never seen an X-ray like Macie’s. She was extremely lucky to survive,” PDSA vet Emily Ronald, told the outlet. “Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first – the blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries.”

Related: Special Needs Dog in High Chair Plays Peekaboo With Owner

As for the puppy, she is doing just fine.

“The morning after surgery, she was bouncing all over the place as if nothing had happened,” Ronald says. “Macie has been back for frequent check-ups over the past two weeks and we’re pleased she’s recovering and healing well.”

Related: 7 Deadly Sins: The People Food You Should Never Feed Your Dog

One comment on “Pit Bull Puppy Swallows 8-Inch Knife, Lives to Tell About It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *