After a family escaped a burning house, firefighters from Ladder 113 were called to extinguish the flames and were also able to save their dog, a 3-month-old Maltese named Mickey.
“We couldn’t get him,” 9-year-old Bella Louis told the New York Daily News . “My aunt said to just leave him,” she explains of the quick escape the family had to take and the decisions that needed to be made. “I was really scared because I knew that Mickey was … in the house.”
The dog was discovered in the kitchen, shaking from being so scared. After being whisked from the fire, the puppy was given oxygen to help with his breathing.
“It seems to be doing OK,” said FDNY Battalion Chief Mike Golini about Mickey to the outlet. “That will at least be some saving grace for the family after a tragedy like this.”
The dog was a new addition to the family, given to the children as an Easter present.
There were no injuries and the fire is still under investigation.
Image from New York Daily News